Thursday, March 10, 2011

CRANFORD DVDs

March 10, 2011

I have a pen pal whom I met over on Lady Lydia's HOME LIVING blog (http://www.homeliving.blogspot.com). Her name is Marqueta, and we have been exchanging letters for about a month now. She is charming and sweet, and I hope my long handwritten letters don't bore her too much, lol. I think she is fortunate that I don't TYPE my letters, since then my typing could keep up with my thoughts, and my letters would be even LONGER!

Recently, she left a comment on this blog, mentioning the term 'elegant economy'. She said it was from something called CRANFORD. I had no idea what she was talking about, but I liked the term she used.

Later that week, I was at the Hartshorne Library, and there on the DVD shelf, were two DVDs entitled CRANFORD. I looked them over, an when I saw that they were about life in England around the time of Victoria, I realized these must be what Marqueta was talking about. Then I saw that Dame Judi Dench starred in them, and well, heck--I had to watch them. Trust me, she could narrate a film about how to raise cockroaches in Stockholm, and it would be great, that is how much presence she has as an actress.

(How to raise cockroaches in Stockholm? Where do I come UP with this stuff?)

So, I get them home, and as fate would have it, a nice spate of cold weather hits the next day. We tend to the chores, toss stuff in the crockpot and bread machine for the evening, and settle in to watch CRANFORD.

Wow.

These little shows are wonderful period pieces, with performances from some of the best talent Britain has to offer. The characters inspire tears as well as laughter, and well...there is this COW, and...you just have to SEE it.

There is a second DVD titled RETURN TO CRANFORD, and it as well is brilliant. If you have the chance to see these shows, I highly recommend them. I am a big fan of period pieces in British film, and these are among the best I've ever seen.

This is the first chance I've had to blog about them, and I wanted to say thank you, Marqueta, for introducing them to me.



Well, I got chores. Later, ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

2 comments:

  1. I loved Cranford too and am now waiting (not so patiently) for Return to Cranford from our library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Evelyn,

    I'm so happy you found Cranford! It's one of my all-time favorites (even if a lot people die off).

    I don't think your letters are boring at all; the longer, the better! I'll be working on a nice long one for you here soon.

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete