Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Before of the Before of the Before and After (really, it's simple--read on!)

March 17, 2011

Well, I walked into my big cabin kitchen Tuesday morning, and just FLIPPED OUT. I couldn't stand the mess anymore. Oh, it wasn't dirty, it was just cluttered and completely disorganized. I had been so busy over the past few months, I was just tossing stuff in there, and after a time, I had only a few paths to the fridge, freezer, and stove. Since we stayed in a travel trailer during the winter, because it was easier to heat, I just quit using my big kitchen. I had canned goods sitting on the floor that hadn't been put away since I got them home at the first of the month.

Well, I just about blew a gasket.

So, I got Obie to help me carry a long wooden table from under the cantina outside to right in front of the kitchen door. I began carrying everything out and piling it on the table. I gathered up bags of clothes that needed to be donated to charities and piled those up on the picnic table. I moved shelves around and cleared off my huge kitchen table. I put canned goods away where they belonged, and was amazed at how my canned good purchasing had gotten out of balance--I mean, come on, 12 cans each of corn and green beans, but over 30 cans of refried BEANS? Now I have a much better idea of what I need to buy next month, and my ingredient inventory will balance out.

I haven't tackled the fridge and freezer yet, and the woodstove still needs the piping reworked, but it all looks SO much better. We will start eating in there next week, sitting at the table. Later, I'll get the cantina cleaned up, and we will eat at the big picnic table outside.

I was gonna wait until I got my new camera so I could do a before and after photo shoot of what I had done, but I just couldn't live with the before I had. I'll still have a before and after and my after will hopefully be charming, but my before won't be so awful!

Now, I just need to tackle the big storage room, the tack and feed room, the cantina, shovel poop outta corrals, cut hickory wood for the smoker, haul more rocks to the driveway....somebody tell me again--WHY do I live like this?

Oh yeah--I LOVE IT!

Well, I got chores. Later ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

1 comment:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    I'm right there with you! We did some cleaning up today, and raking up outside, and, and, and,. . . :)

    I also wrote you a letter, which I'll stick in the mail tomorrow.

    I'm excited for you to be getting a camera soon!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete