Friday, February 11, 2011

Snowstorms And Twinkling Lights

Feb 11, 2011

Wow--we survived the snowstorms that happened--AGAIN.

We had just come through a nasty snowstorm and sub-zero weather. I was thrilled that I was going to be able to stay home and catch up on all kinds of chores. For the first two days, I organized, cleaned and scrubbed my little travel trailer till it shone. I had been inspired by Lady Lydia, Mrs. White, and several others whose blogs I follow. My next plan was to attack the cabin and start getting the kitchen put back together, so the wood stove could be reinstalled, and we could spend the cold days in a cozy, LARGE room.

There is an old saying, "If you wanna hear God laugh--tell Him your plans."
I think the Father must have chuckled a bit, because the next day another snowstorm hit, and Obie and I were stuck inside the trailer. Since I had cleaned so well, there was NOTHING for us to do except watch DVDs. We had no new books from the library, no new DVDs. We went a bit stir crazy, and when Brian made it home that night, he found a cranky wife and son. He took it with good humor though, since he has a hard time with cabin fever too.

Then the weather broke yesterday, and we got ready to come into town and do laundry. I find it funny that I was complaining so much about being away from home, then when I DID get to be there--I couldn't wait to get out again. What's the old saying? I'd complain if I was hung with a new rope.

Well, anyway, we made it out this morning, and we were treated to a gorgeous sight as we drove down the drive and over the roads. In this type of cold, ice crystals form over all the trees, fencing and brush at the sides of the roads. When the truck lights hit them, there is a twinkling effect, as if the landscape is covered in tiny white blinking lights. It can take your breath away in its simple beauty. I just breathed a prayer of thanks that we were blessed with our own personal light show.

Now we find that the temperature is going to be at least in the 60s, and even the 70s by Sunday!
Instead of griping about being either home or in town--I'm just gonna prepare for either situation, then be grateful for which ever one happens.

Well, I got chores. Later, ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

2 comments:

  1. Dear Evelyn,

    Yay, you got my letter! And yay, you have a fun blog! :) I love your "thriftology"; I'll have to borrow that word sometime. I use "elegant economy" (borrowed from the book "Cranford") in like manner.

    I am happy that you'll have a camera soon, too~ then I will be able to "see" you!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elgant economy...I like it! BTW--your letter is in the mail. Tookk me three days to write it, and four to get it to the Post Office.

    ReplyDelete