Monday, January 31, 2011

A Birthday, a Snowstorm, and Two Passings

Jan 31, 2011

Today is my Beloved Husband's Birthday! Or as he puts it, the anniversary of the day that The Great Experiment began. He is the oldest of three boys, and as far as I am concerned--he's the best of the bunch. The funny thing is, at 6 foot 1 inch--he's also the RUNT of the litter. His younger brothers are both taller then him. That's okay--he's the best looking and the smartest, and he's all mine. Happy Birthday, Baby!

Well, it's Monday and I am back in town again. We are supposed to get really nasty winter weather starting tonight, so I have to go and get propane for the heaters. I think I'll see what DVDs the library has, too--just in case we are unable to get out for a day or two.

I was going to post some things that had been on my mind today, but then I learned that two of the comedians that I loved growing up had both passed away last week. I just want to give them each a little tribute, and sort of say goodbye.

Charlie Callas (December 20, 1927 – January 27, 2011)
Charlie Callas was a comedian with a big nose, huge sad eyes, and weird noises. Tony Belmont, executive director of the National Comedy Hall of Fame in St. Petersburg, Fla., said once of Callas, “He would tell a joke about two guys hunting. If you or I told it, the joke wasn’t so funny. But Charlie made it hysterical by sticking in these sounds; so you would hear the gun cocking, the duck flying overhead, the explosion of the shotgun and then the duck falling and screaming all the way to the ground.”

David Frye (June 1934 – January 24, 2011)
David Frye did a lot of political humor, impersonating many of the famous faces that littered the landscape, especially during the Nixon years. Of all the Nixon impersonators I have ever seen, Frye had him nailed down. In fact, David Frye was one of the biggest influences on the way I still look at politics today. He made the men in power look like who they really were--human beings capable of mistakes.

I recall as a child staying up late with my grandparents, watching The Tonight Show With Johnny Carson, and laughing at the performances of these two funny men. I mean, come on--no one else could make spinning plates look as hilarious as Charlie Callas, and after 40 years I can still quote almost line for line David Frye doing a skit about President Nixon preparing for a diplomatic visit with Israel's Prime Minister Golda Meir.

I know there are really more important things to discuss in life. But I also know that people who can make you laugh and bring joy to folks in this world are important, too.

So long, fellas, you will be missed.

Well, I got chores. Later, ya'll.
© 2011 by Evelyn Edgett

No comments:

Post a Comment